What are the best 3D game engines in 2021? All the game developers are looking for the answer to this question. If you are reading this, you may be one of those and let me tell you that you are in the right place.
Gaming has now become the most popular and vastly growing industry in the world. Also, there is an enormous scope of getting successful in the gaming business because people worldwide are more interested in games than anything else.
At the same time, game development is also getting trendy. If you are a beginner and want to develop a game but don’t know how to start, then the article is written primarily for you. Why? Because in this article, we will disclose some best 3D Game Engines that will be of great help in 2021 for you.
Game Engines are the basis or foundation on which games are developed. In short, it is an initial platform to create a game. So it is the most crucial step to choose the right gaming engine for developing a new game.
Table of Contents
- 0.1 Best 3d game engines in 2021:
- 0.2 Unity 3D
- 0.3 Unreal engine
- 0.4 Godot
- 0.5 RPG maker
- 0.6 Amazon Lumberyard
- 0.7 Phaser
- 0.8 GameMaker Studio 2
- 0.9 Urho3D
- 1 Our Verdict
Best 3d game engines in 2021:
Now comes the next thing that which are the best 3D Game Engines in 2021. Here we are helping you by providing you with some best 3D game engines and their features, examples, and bright and dark sides.
Let’s have a look at them.
I think you will agree that Unity 3D is the most smooth and easy to use gaming engine that offers a variety of tools for developing games.
It is a gaming engine that allows you to create very interactive 3d content. It has been developed since 2005 and is most compatible with Windows, Linux, Mac, PS VR, Oculus Rift, Android, Xbox, and many other Operating Systems.
It allows its users to develop both 2D and 3D games. So if you ask me that which is the best 3D game engine in 2021, I will not hesitate to say “Unity 3D.”
Its strengths include an asset store that provides multiple enhanced features to save your time, including functional extensions and other ultimate solutions.
People love this game engine because of its excellent features and robust capabilities. Unity 3D is used by 47% of game developers because it is featured with drag and drop settings highly appreciable and convenient to develop a game.
Example Games built in Unity 3D
- Subway Surfer
- It provides you with multiple features to create your game handily.
- It is equipped with an ultra-fast engine.
- It is beneficial for importing copied codes.
- It offers good graphics.
- Its documentation is straightforward to understand.
- No rocket science required to learn it.
- Its high-quality audio-video helps in delivering a quality game.
- It doesn’t save your work, and you have to start from scratch.
- Somehow pricey for beginners.
Unreal engine is known as the popular game engine, but it is a set of multiple tools that are meant to generate tremendous ease in game development.
The popular gaming engine unreal is owned by Epic Games, and it was first released in 1998. This game development platform is organized for all types of businesses. An unreal engine helps to convert your thoughts into a high graphics 3D game.
The unreal engine can be used by beginners as well as experts. However, it is child’s play for beginners because it doesn’t need you to be an expert programmer to use it.
Example Games built in Unreal Engine
- Mortal Kombat
- It is free and open-source software.
- Robust engine with blueprint system.
- It has a wide variety of gaming tools.
- Easy to create, texture, and move characters.
- It requires more storage space.
- You cannot change or adjust its dark mode.
Godot is an open-source and advanced multi-platform that can be used to develop both 2D and 3D games. It is an MIT licensed gaming engine, and hundreds of developers have contributed to Godot’s development.
It is now getting more popularity among game developers and is gradually becoming a top gaming engine of 2021.
Many popular tools, like PlayFab and Helpshift, integrate with Godot. It offers various intuitive developer tools and is entirely free to use. Also, it provides you with a set of fantastic game developing tools to keep you more focused.
Example Games built in Godot
- Garden Path
- It is an open-source and free to use platform
- It offers cross-platform.
- Simple and user-friendly interface.
- It can create amazing 3D graphics.
- Implementation of ads is a bit challenging
RPG maker is a new gaming engine yet high in good features. It is a spontaneous editor that is engineered with a series of programs to develop and create 3D games with high graphics.
With RPG Maker, you can quickly develop good characters, 3D animations, databases, and plugins. So, if you are thinking of starting your game development career, then RPG Maker is an excellent option to go with.
Example Games Built in RPG Maker
- To the Moon
- Easy to get started with
- Simple to understand its functionality.
- No prior knowledge of coding is necessary.
- Good cross-platform capability.
- Detailed tutorials to learn how it works.
- Easy to enable or disable any of the plugins
- It is a memory eater.
- A bit expensive.
- Hassle of exporting projects.
Amazon Lumberyard is an entirely free gaming engine without any subscription fees and royalties. It is yet a fantastic platform to start developing video games without any hassle. It is known for its good performance, time effectiveness and good fanbase.
It is powered by Amazon web services and is much more compatible with P2P, C++, Adobe Photoshop, and Autodesk Maya. In short, it is the best 3D game engine in 2021 as it is enriched with extensive tools, a sound machine, and multiple features.
Examples games built in Amazon Lumberyard
- New world
- Star Citizens
- Free to use
- Fast iteration of prototypes.
- Straightforward interface
- Easy to learn its basics.
- An impressive library of a wide variety of tools.
- The installation process is a bit time taking.
- Documentation is hard to understand.
Honestly speaking, Phaser is fun. It is much easier to develop a game on this HTML5 gaming engine, and hence you can award it for the best 3D game engine in 2021. It is a fast, open-source and free to use a game engine that provides a robust framework for your 3D video games.
It allows you to create both browser and mobile-based games and is extensively based on web developing technologies. It doesn’t limit the number of games you can create; thus, you are free to create as many games as you want.
Examples games buit in Phaser
- Babel tower
- Garden Tales
- Kung Fu Master.
- Simpler loading of assets
- It offers very fast developing
- It requires no installation
- Easy to run on Cloud
- Easy to create 3D animations.
- Beyond-the-world versions.
- The official documentation is hard to understand.
GameMaker Studio 2 is a beginner-friendly gaming engine; you can even make your grandma learn this. It is way too advanced and featured with multiple tools to allow you to create amazing 3D games.
It allows you to develop multiple cross-platform games for smartphones, Androids and iOS devices. Also, it will enable you to export your games directly to MAC OS X and Windows.
It can provide you with every tool you need to develop a great 3D game, whether complex or straightforward. Moreover, you can use this excellent game engine to publish your game to whatever platform you want.
Examples games built in GameMaker Studio 2
- Heat signature.
- Fast prototyping
- Highly understandable documentation
- Supportive community
- The IDE is highly customizable
- It becomes unstable sometimes.
- Expensive for some developers.
Urho3D is a lightweight, open-source and free to use cross-platform that can be used to develop both 2D and 3D games with high-quality graphics. It was released under MIT license and is implemented in C++. It is one of the best game engines in 2021 as it is equipped with multiple features.
These engines use Direct3D or OpenGL for rendering and consist of an extensive library with multiple sub-libraries. It offers you realistic rendering and customization of your games.
Examples games built in Urho3D
- It doesn’t require any subscription fees.
- Easy to fix bugs
- Coding quality is superb
- Easy to learn from documentation provided.
- The best 3D game engine in 2021
- Easy to configure the rendering pipeline.
- The user interface can cause eye straining
- None supportive community.
There are many 3D game engines, but we have compiled a list of the best ones. These game engines will prove themselves to be the best game engines in 2021 and save you from any kind of difficulty and hassle.
We have described every engine in detail, along with its features, pros and cons. Now it’s up to you whichever you choose for the development of your game. You can try them one by one if you still have any confusions.
Have a fun time developing games!
Let us know if you need any assistance and tell us how helpful the article was.