Here are the best i5 or above laptops that come under $500 for every task, gaming, video editing, programming, and for business or office works.
Having a quality laptop, with an i5 chipset in 2022 is a no-brainer, and whether you’re a student needs a touch screen foldable laptop, or office worker seeking 2-in-1 laptops under 500.
The below options cover the top performers in all the departments,
As an Amazon affiliate, we may earn some commission for each successful sale (nothing cost you extra). Thank you for visiting our website.
Our top pick cheap laptops at a glance-
- Acer Aspire 5 (Overall best)
- ASUS VivoBook 15 (for gamers)
- Lenovo IdeaPad 3 (for students)
- HP 15 Laptop (for video editing)
- Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 (Foldable budget laptop)
- Microsoft Surface Laptop Go (Decent choice)
- Dell Latitude 14 (For office work)
However, it’s worth noting that a laptop doesn’t need to be expensive, and an under this price of machines can provide you the same processing speed as compared to some of the high-end models on the market.
With that said, buying the best i5 Laptops Under $500 is quite difficult nowadays as there are dozens of options to choose from.
best i5 laptops under $500
1. Acer Aspire 5 (overall best)
- Intel Core i5 processor @ 3.9GHz
- Offers up to 8GB standard memory within DDR4 based architecture
- It comes equipped with 2x USB 3.1 and 1x USB Type C port
- 256 GB SSD for fast-paced boot times
- 15.6 Inches Widescreen IPS Display with vivid colors
If you’re looking for power and performance under a reasonable price in a portable machine, you can’t go wrong picking this model.
It’s backed by a straightforward design and enhanced multi-tasking capabilities, making it stand out from the rest of the competition.
Whether you’re a student, a part-time programmer, or just a casual user, the Aspire 5 will suit your needs without costing a fortune.
The base model comes equipped with an Intel processor, but you can definitely upgrade to the AMD variant if you are concerned about power loss or lack of efficiency.
Build Quality & Design
The Aspire 5 series boasts a sleek-looking design that is ideal for any average laptop user looking for solid performance without any sudden loss in ergonomics.
Its aluminum top cover is not only lightweight and flexible but also quite durable for prolonged use. Besides that, it adopts a professional-looking color scheme that is suitable for any kind of formal task.
Its backlit is enabled so you can work seamlessly in any sort of dim or deteriorated lightning conditions.
- First, it has a slim bezel design that is integrated with a full 15inch IPS display for impressive image quality and crisp visuals. In addition to that, it operates under Acer’s Blue light shield Protection technology to reduce any strain on your eyes.
- It’s powered by Intel’s 8th gen i5 processor with a turbo boost clock of 3.9GHz, so you can get more done in the given time.
- For added productivity power, the Acer Aspire 5 brings 8GB RAM (upgradable) as well as 256GB of storage to save your demanding files.
- As for the power, it is equipped with a lithium-powered battery which will remain functional for up to 9 hours on max usage.
|Easily the best budget laptops under $500||With Lithium-Ion Battery, it’s a bit heavy|
|Powerful hardware and an intuitive display||Average webcam for an Acer laptop|
|Fantastic connectivity and network coverage|
2) ASUS VivoBook 15 (for gamers)
- i5 10th gen processor
- Performance-driven 512GB PCIe NVMe storage
- It comes equipped with a stunning 15.6-inch full HD display panel
- Ergonomic keyboard with backlit capability
- 8GB onboard memory makes it a budget gaming laptop
When it comes to budget gaming laptops under 500, the options are quite limited due to the recent chip shortages.
However, that doesn’t mean you can’t run your favorite titles at minimal settings, and the VivoBook 15 is living proof of that.
It shares a well-crafted design that is followed by solid hardware and an optimal screen resolution, which will fancy any casual gamers out there.
With that said, it doesn’t adopt any glittery RGB capabilities, so of course, you can also use it for your office tasks or college assignments without any inconvenience.
Build Quality & Design
The ASUS VivoBook 15 is undoubtedly a fashionable laptop with the well-rounded build quality and an intuitive color scheme.
Unlike Aspire 5, which went with a typical aluminum casing, this laptop accompanies Slate Grey tuning with transparent backup. This will not only make your machine pretty attractive but also resistive to any dust or grain. Other than that, it has a grey brushed aluminum trackpad, which is as professional-looking as it gets.
There is even a Chrome logo located across the lid for further convenience of the user. Furthermore, the VivoBook 15 picks up a premium-looking keyboard with an adjustable hinge so you can finetune your typing experience according to your needs.
- It is provided with NanoEdge display bezels and a 15.6-inch Full HD screen to compensate for your gaming and adjacent needs.
- There is a powerful 10th gen i5 CPU running in this beast, providing it enough horsepower to run most modern apps.
- Besides that, this machine runs on an Intel UHD integrated GPU, which won’t run the latest AAA titles but is good to go for the most part.
- For connectivity, it supports 2 x USB 2.0 ports as well as a micro card reader. Unfortunately, it doesn’t support WIFI 6, which is a standard these days with even the cheapest laptops.
|A solid laptop under 500 for gaming||You have to deactivate Windows S mode in this ASUS laptop manually|
|Premium ergonomics||The comically low volume even with the driver update|
|Decent battery with fast charging|
3) Lenovo IdeaPad 3 (for students)
- 15.6-inch touchscreen display with sensitive panel control
- Intel Core i5 10th gen processor with Turbo Boost Technology
- A staggering 12GB system memory for added efficiency
- 256GB SSD in PCI-e to store more data instantly
- Weighs just under 4.07 lbs
There are dozens of cheap laptops under 500 on Amazon, but not many deliver up to the standards for students or average college-goers.
Some might lack the necessary hardware requirements, while others are bulky enough to not be able to carry easily. That’s when the following product on our list shines, i.e., the Lenovo IdeaPad 3.
It’s a touchscreen laptop under $500 that blends powerful components with high-end functions to get you suited to your academic lifestyle.
Whether your toggling through spreadsheets or preparing for the next class assignment, this beast of a laptop will have you covered.
Build Quality & Design
Lenovo makes some top-tier tech accessories with the reasonable build quality, and IdeaPad 3 is no exception. Both its front and rear end have been complemented by brushed finishing to make it satisfactory for the eye.
Although, as expected from a cheap laptop, the base material used here is plastic, due to its entry-level price point, you can’t complain much.
It comes in a wide range of colors (from gold to black) so that you can have a bit of versatility in your end decision. A dedicated space for a num-pad is a nice addition to any laptop under 500 for college.
The laptop itself is quite thin and only accounts for 7.05 ounces so that you can take it on the get-go.
- Inside this machine, you will find a prevailing i5 10th gen processor that runs under Turbo Boost to give you that extra bit of energy efficiency.
- It includes 256GB SSD storage, 12GB onboard memory, and Intel UHD Graphics to maintain substantial performance.
- For additional support, it has a full HD webcam as well as a built-in mic. It’s not something top of the line, but it will do the job for average use.
- Other than that, this prime laptop for students is equipped with a 1366 x 768p 15.6-inch display with touchscreen capabilities.
|One of the best touchscreen laptops under $500||Its battery life isn’t something to be praised of|
|Provided with up to 12GB of RAM||Being a laptop under 500 on Amazon, its display is a bit faint|
|Advanced Wi-Fi communication|
4) HP 15 Laptop (for video editing)
- 11th Gen Core i5 CPU
- Operates under industry-leading 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 storage
- Accompanied with micro-edge bezel display for added screen time
- 8GB of system RAM to streamline your tasks
- Crisp & clear visuals with Intel Iris Xe Graphics
The HP 15 laptop is another amazing gadget under $500 which aims to deliver reasonable performance without influencing battery backup.
It’s a solid budget contender for people who want to do things like video editing in 2021 without spending overzealous amounts on top of a line setup.
It supports an 11th gen i5 CPU which is relevant even in today’s standards, so you can rest assured it won’t be overdated soon enough in the foreseeable future.
From battery life to build quality and port selection, the HP 15 laptop is an absolute unit, which I highly recommend if you’re in the market for the best laptops under 500 for video editing.
Build Quality & Design
This i5 laptop under $500 is basically a refreshed version of the 2018 edition with better build quality and enhanced system components.
Essentially it integrates a hard TPU cover over its outer rear section that is complemented by silver finishing.
The material used within the Laptop doesn’t seem cheap either so that you can expect a certain level of sturdiness.
Another great thing about its ergonomics is that it’s extremely lightweight, so you can easily carry it around for a longer duration.
It’s even lined up with a decent amount of connectivity ports which are nowadays a standard in many mid-range laptops under 500 Amazon.
When it comes to laptops under 500 for video editing, the HP 15 inch is an absolute unit due to premium design and top-of-the-line specs.
- A performance-driven CPU and adequate system memory, it features industry-leading NVMe M.2 storage along with Intel’s Iris graphics. With these components, you can rest assured about its on-system performance.
- Like any other windows laptop under $500, it follows a 15 inch full HD display that will showcase vivid images right off the bat.
- Furthermore, you will get a 45W battery with this classic laptop that can easily give you up to 10 hours’ worth of execution.
|Demanding system components||The built-in microphone isn’t up to the standard|
|Lightweight and durable design||Unupgradable hard drive|
|Long battery backup|
5) Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5( 2-in-1)
- An intuitive touch screen for quick drag and drop action
- A 13-inch FHD display with slim bezels and 360° convertibility
- Bluetooth 5.0 as well as the latest Wi-Fi 6 support
- It’s fully functional under Chrome OS
Most of the time, versatility in modern laptops comes down with a price tag that isn’t reliable for the end-user.
So, if you’re looking for an all-in-one laptop accessory that will suit both your professional and casual needs at a reasonable cost, the Chromebook Flex 5 is something you definitely need to look for.
It offers just about everything that you need in an expensive MacBook but at a fraction of the cost.
For users with multiple needs and requirements, it’s an absolute unit. Besides sharing 2 in 1 functionality, it gives a solid battery backup as well as 360° convertibility for seamless personalization.
Build Quality & Design
The Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 is quite noticeable in terms of its design and overall build quality. Even at under $500, it doesn’t give the feel of a low-end chrome book that you can bargain on Amazon.
Flex 5 is built like a tank and is fairly lightweight, allowing you to take the full edge out of its portability.
The materials used in its construction are also reasonable for sub $500, so yeah, it’s somewhat future-proof as well.
Even its trackpad works on par with the majority of cheap touchscreen laptops.
Additionally, one of the things to talk about its design is it’s 2 in 1 convertibility function. You can effortlessly use it in tablet mode or as a standard Chromebook at any instant.
- This touchscreen laptop under $500 is lined up with 4 GB system memory and 64 GB of hard disk space, which frankly isn’t something to be praised of.
- The 13inch IPS FHD display provided attractive visuals with minimal distraction. Now it might be a bit low on SRGB; however, it won’t matter much for most users.
- The screen is super responsive to touch, which works wonders with the digital pen.
- For normal use, the battery performance is around 10 hours, which is a great bargain for a $500 machine.
- You can use the flip screen function to adjust the Chromebook Flex according to your desired position.
|Best 2 in 1 laptop under 500||Lack of a powerful hardware|
|Backlit keyboard with optimal travel distance||Being a touchscreen laptop under $500, it has some design flaws|
|360 hinge adjustment|
6) Microsoft Surface Laptop Go (decent choice)
- Sleek looking design with 12.4″ PixelSense touchscreen
- Based on a heavy-duty 10th Gen Intel Core i5 processor
- Provided with a 720p HD webcam for video calls and side meetings
- Up to 13 hours’ worth of battery life
- USB-C Travel Hub compatible
Microsoft laptops are outdated these days, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t worth the purchase, especially if you’re searching for a budget model to tackle your daily needs.
If convenience is something you are after, then buying the Surface Go laptop is easily a no-brainer.
Build Quality & Design
On the Surface (pun intended), the Microsoft Go is a stylish-looking laptop with a miniature layout.
Casing is made out of polycarbonate (with glass fibers woven in) and the top Surface is accompanied by a metallic finish. This will not only keep the weight under the limit but also make it a bit durable.
Now it might not be as solid as something like ASUS VivoBook 15, but if you don’t stress the machine, it can be long-lasting.
Aside from a professional design, the Microsoft Surface Go comes with a wide range of attributes that are worth talking about.
- For starters, it provides a significant boost in performance through its potent i5 processor, 8GB Memory, and 128GB SSD.
- There is a 720p HD webcam for connectivity, complemented by dual microphones.
- The Surface Go can be used as a 2 in 1 laptop. This will give you further convenience down the road.
- In terms of IO, it offers 2 x USB 3.0 ports as well as an audio jack, which will do the job without any complication.
- Even being a small laptop under 500, its keyboard is tactile with full number keys and a backlit capability.
|Reasonable build quality for a sub $500 laptop||You have to pay a bit over $500 for this model|
|Instant access with a fingerprint sensor||Its fan can get fairly loud|
|Upgradable to Windows 11|
7) Dell Latitude 14 (for bussiness)
- Incorporated with a 14″ HD screen with thin bezels
- Core i5-5300U Dual-core CPU running at 2.30 GHz
- 500 GB worth of hard disk with 4 GB DDR3L RAM
- It comes equipped with Windows 7 Professional
- Bluetooth 4.0 support
And finally, at number 7 on the list, we have the Dell Latitude 14 5000. On paper, it’s a business laptop for professional workflows so that you won’t find any over-the-top features.
However, as a consumer, it pretty much fits all the functions that you would expect in a cheap laptop without any subtle loss.
It’s a dell manufactured machine, so you definitely won’t be disappointed about its all-around performance.
Build Quality & Design
Its top Surface is lined up with a soft rubberized construction that looks just nice. While on the rear end, it boasts ruggedized plastic with no clear-cut finish.
The great thing about its body is that it’s somewhat resistant to scratches; however, keep in mind that it will catch dust often, so try to use it with care. Other than that, the bottom feet are not rubberized, which is a downside as it can slip on a flat surface.
As for the keyboard, there isn’t anything special to be looked upon. Of course, the key switches are quiet, and the keypad itself is robust, but it’s not backlit enabled, and the buttons do wobble a bit.
In the display department, the Dell Latitude 14 performs surprisingly quite well. There is a 14inch 1366 x 768 screen that is adjusted with narrower bezels to make it look intuitive.
The colors are sharp and reasonably accurate, and you can still get a decent experience out of it if you plan on using it as a corporate machine.
In addition to that, the sound quality is just what you can expect from a cheap dell laptop. It’s not that great, so I would advise you to use headphones if you plan to buy this portable device.
|Reside within the best budget laptops under $500||Not the best laptop under 500 with a backlit keyboard|
|Great for WIFI connectivity||Inadequate onboard RAM|
|It runs under a Dual-core processor|
So yeah, this concludes our list for the Best i5 Laptops Under $500 for every gamer, college student, or office worker. They were chosen after extensive research and hours of testing, so make sure to give them a go in your next online purchase.
Although before you make your end decision, it’s best to know that finding laptops under this price tag can be no doubt stressful. Due to the recent market fluctuations, you have to spend a bit over the $500 landmark. So, take that into account along with your particular use case as you indulge in the subsequent shopping spree.