SketchUp is a deluxe software that is used to make 3D designs and 3D modeling. For example in civil or mechanical engineering tasks, formulating interior and exterior designs or for developing and designing graphics for either a film or a video game.
It is used for a variety of different applications that are used to make drawings and is getting more common in 2021.
SketchUp has both paid and free versions, you can use whichever fits your need because it can be easily assessed as a truly web-based application.
SketchUp has now become the most favorite software of most developers and graphic designers but people having Linux are so unlucky about not having this amazing software.
The reason behind this is that SketchUp is not supported by Linux and thus can’t be used by Linux users.
But wait, the game is still not over for the Linux users. We know that SketchUp is not functional for Linux but there are a lot of other applications that are exactly similar to SketchUp both in features and functions.
So the users having Linux can use them as an alternative to SketchUp.
Table of Contents
- 1 List of best alternatives for SketchUp:
- 1.1 BricsCAD:
- 1.2 AutoCAD:
- 1.3 Shapr3D:
- 1.4 3Ds MAX:
- 1.5 pCon.Planner:
- 1.6 NanoCAD:
- 1.7 Draftsight:
- 1.8 MicroStation:
- 1.9 Vectorworks:
- 2 A quick wrap up
- 3 You may also like:
List of best alternatives for SketchUp:
Here is the complete list of prime tools that are best designed to replace SketchUp for Linux. You will find both paid and free applications in the list below:-
BricsCAD is a perfect yet free SketchUp alternative for Linux that uses an influential and effective designing engine. It’s 3D modeling software that is mainly adapted by software engineers and graphics designers. It is simple yet easy to learn and operate even for new users. A new user can learn it within half an hour or even in less time.
It is a great program with superb functionality, a small footprint, and outstanding compatibility with Linux and other operating systems.
- A processor of 1 GHz or even faster than that is required
- RAM of 256 MB is required to install BricsCAD.
- ROM of 250 MB plus 1GB free space is required.
- Display:- 1024×768×GA
- BricsCAD is user friendly with its intuitively tabbed interface.
- It’s unique with its advanced drawing explorer and smooth layout.
- It provides mapping, drawing, and 3D modeling services.
- Amazing tools including Dockable panel, annotative rankings, and dynamic arrays are a plus.
- No need for converting files from one format to another.
- Sometimes it becomes difficult to analyze issues to report.
AutoCAD is a “computer-aided design” (CAD) software that is trusted by many professionals, architects, and expert designers to create perfect 2D and 3D models, drawings, and images. It can be used on any device.
It is easy to use and operate while designing. You can easily place or remove objects from your drawings with instant selection and a simple object preview.
- It requires 64-bite OS operating system.
- Memory required is 8GB ( 16GB suggested)
- It requires a processor of 2.5 GHz (3 plus GHz recommended)
- 1920×1080 resolution display with original colors.
- Time-saving:- It is more time saving than anyone can think. It can make quite complex designs and models within no time.
- Designed for multiple usages:- Yes, you can use it for completing multiple tasks. Furthermore, it can be used in various industries including electrical, electronics, architect, Civil, and electro mechanics.
- 3D designing:- You can work more effectively and productively in a 3D space. In other words, high-quality 3D images can be produced in very little duration.
- Additionally, AutoCAD offers professional designing, advanced drafting tools, and accurate measurements and details.
- Sometimes, it becomes much time taking because of containing so many functions.
- It is expensive to learn and to initiate using it.
Shapr3D allows you direct designing by using an Apple pencil. It is a pro designing tool that works on Microsoft Windows. With the help of Shapr3D, you can formulate unique models with efficient creation and CAD support even when offline. Hence it is a perfect 3D modeling software that is an excellent alternative to Sketchup. It is user-friendly and fun to use for converting our thoughts into a beautifully designed model. It can save time and money.
- Mainly designed for iPads
- Only runs on the device having an Apple pencil.
- Multi-Purpose:- It is multi-purpose software that can be used to design building structures, rooms, games, and furniture.
- Easy to use:- Shapr3D is an easy-to-use tool and its usage by only Apple pencil makes it more comfortable. Hence it is better then deigning by a mouse or keyboard.
- Quick:- It is simple yet quick in its performance. It allows you to sketch killer designs and models very fast.
- Good for beginners:- It is very easy to learn with simple tutorials on how to begin designing with Shapr3D. Yet a good 3D modeling software for beginners too.
- It is limited to use on only iPads.
- For now, its main focus is solid modeling only.
3Ds Max is a superb production of Autodesk and is developed to make it easier for developers and architects to design the way they want to. Its all features are simple yet exciting including 3D mechanical and electrical modeling, professional engineering and architectural designing, etc.
Many video game developers are also taking benefits from this amazing tool. You can use it for creating different video effects, realistic 3D photos, and animations. More features are being added to it with passing time.
- Windows 10 or Windows 7 64-bit professional operating system is required
- RAM of 8GB is required
- 3GB free disk space is mandatory for downloading Material Libraries
- 2GB free disk space for installing 3Ds.
- Customized programming options are provided in 3Ds Max
- Its features like Max scripting language and user-created scripts are very easy to learn.
- It is most compatible with Microsoft Windows operating system and Linux.
- It is enriched with a number of advanced features that make designing more convenient.
- It can be a bit pricy for some people
- It takes time to learn its usage completely
- Some compatibility issues may occur while working on a bulk task.
pCon.Planner offers you an effective work engine that makes you capable of designing images and models stunningly. It also allows you to make your customers completely understand the idea that is going through your mind. It thus, helps you to become a good creative designer and design high-quality 3D graphics.
- The processor required is ×86/×64, > 3GHz
- Operating system Windows 10 is needed
- System memory should be 12GB
- 1GB disc space should be available.
- The screen resolution required is 1920×1080 or even more.
- It is designed for engineers, architects, manufacturers, and game developers.
- Both 2D and 3D models can be created by using pCon.Planner.
- It is provided with a lot of collaboration tools and technical assistance.
- You can create highly professional images that are perfect from every perspective.
- It is not free
NanoCAD is an upgraded professional computer-aided designing tool with an easier interface. It is equipped with the best designing and drafting features with DWG compatibility. It is a true alternative to SketchUp that is rich in qualities and cheaper in price.
- MS Windows 10 or MS Windows 8 operating system is needed.
- The processor of ×64 from 1GHz (3GHz recommended)
- RAM needed is 2GB or more.
- 500MB free space of hard disk is required for installation
- 3GB free space should be available for software’s functioning.
- It’s a free 3D modeling program
- It is provided with high customizability and advanced technical support.
- It always seems to be ready for every kind of situation.
- Its premium version is also affordable for many small business owners
- It performs all the functions identical to SketchUp
- It is equipped with smooth and user friendly interface
- Free version lacks some basic premium functions
- It doesn’t allow to import Microstation CAD files
Draftsight is an affordable replica of SketchUp. Not only cheap but also a great software that has now become an utmost demand of many of the developers and graphic designers. It is provided with great built-in tools and easy to access features that are easy to use too. It allows you to sketch whatever design you want both in 2D or 3D. One thing that you will love about this tool is that it is highly compatible with other 3D designing apps.
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 64-bit version
- 1.5 GB free hard disk space
- 2 GB RAM
- 3D Graphics accelerator card with OpenGL version 1.4
- Display of 1280 × 768 pixels resolution.
- It is very handy and easy to use.
- Editing Layers are very easy to handle
- Varied saving options are included.
- It is a straightforward software with a simple layout, nothing is complex in it.
- It’s a great program for engineers and architectures.
- The menu bar is not so clear
- Save As button is not in the top row.
- Moving objects to OCS is a bit tricky.
Microstation is a perfect tool for constructors, engineers, and operators that can help them in modeling, formulating, visualizing and managing a complicated designing task very easily. This is amazing software that aims to enhance infrastructure asset operation and rapid delivery of the project.
- Operating system Windows 10 (64-bit)
- Intel or AMD processor with 1.0 GHz or even greater
- CPU must be supporting SSE2
- RAM 4GB (16GB recommended)
- Analyze and interpret designs and models more effectively and speedily.
- It has a user-friendly interface and personalized working environment.
- It ensures the quality of the product created by it.
- Precise layout and annotate designs and drawings
- Wide range of modeling tools and supreme features.
- It has the impulse to wreck and crash when not managed properly.
- Inputs commands may become hard to generate sometimes.
Vectorworks work amazingly for designers and engineers giving them ease of designing their valuable projects. This is specially designed for helping architects. It allows a to draw, and design building models for construction sites. It assists you to portray your imaginary design in front of your clients. In short it an all in one solution to many of your 3D modeling problems
- Windows 10 64-bit Operating system
- Processor:- Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5, or better.
- RAM 8GB or greater
- OpenGL 2.1 compatible graphics card with 2GB of VRAM or more.
- Display resolution:- 1440 × 900
- 10GB free disk space is required for installation
- Wall tool is amazingly customizable along with a number of different smart elements that work in compatibility with BIM.
- A great customer support service.
- Exemplary 3D modeling and designing.
- Compatible with other programs.
- The space tool is very unmanageable and bulky.
- Sometimes gets very slow while working in 3D
A quick wrap up
We have covered a brief description of the best alternatives to SketchUp for Linux. Now it’s up to you that which one will you choose for completing your projects. Indeed you will go for one that will tie best into your needs. All mentioned softwares have their own features and specifications. Each of them is designed for a specific purpose so look for that 3D modeling program that is designed for your purpose of use.
It’s all up to you and your final choice now. Choose the program that can meet your desires and can turn the complexity of your project into simplicity.