This blog post will give you tell difference between clear data and clear cache? And how to delete them, on android, PC, and iPhone.
clear data vs clear cache
Cache clearing clears temporary data that has built up on an app, resulting in a slower startup the next time you use it. Choosing the clear data storage option will permanently delete all data pertaining to your app, including game progress and account information.
Cache files are like a path to the information and activities that are performed in an app. For instance, login information in social apps or your game progress. So next time you open the game, it loads the information faster as cache files work as a path to activities.
And App storage Data is information stored inside the app. If it’s a game the progress you have made in that game is stored as the App Data storage and the same for social apps as the account information is stored as Data storage. Thus, clearing an app’s data will delete all of its data and progress, so it will be like a newly downloaded app.
However, clearing cache and app data of applications like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc are recommendable since it consumes a lot of space as cache files. Go through all the apps, if you see it consumes a lot of space you can clear it.
What are cache files?
A cache is temporary information stored in your memory that should be cleaned regularly to make your device’s performance better. Clearing cache may fix many bugs in your device and improves its working.
There are different ways to clear the cache on different operating systems. Let’s look at them.
Clearing cache on Android
Instead of cleaning the cache of every application one by one, it is better to clear the cache of your device. To clear the cache of an android device, follow the given steps.
- Go to the ‘Settings’ option.
- Go to the ‘Storage’ option in settings.
- Go to the ‘Internal Storage’ option in storage.
- It will show you the cache of your device. Click the ‘Clean’ option.
- The cache of your device will be cleared after this process.
Clearing cache on iPhone
- Some applications provide the built-in feature to clear the cache. For example, Snapchat has a feature to clear the cache. An application like Safari and Chrome eats up memory when used for multiple sessions, it’s very important to clear the cache on Safari to speedup your iPhone.
- Open the ‘Snapchat application.
- Go to its profile.
- Open ‘Profile Setting’. Scroll down and you will find an option of ‘Clear Cache’ mentioned in the Account Actions.
- Click on ‘Clear Cache’ and confirm the Pop-Up message to clear the application’s cache.
- This process will clear all the cache of this application.
Some applications have to be uninstalled and then reinstalled to clear their junk from the device. For example, Instagram does not provide a clear cache option on an iPhone. You have to uninstall the application and then reinstall it to clear its cache.
To better understand the process to clear cache from an iPhone, head on to the link given below.
Clearing cache on Windows
- Press (Windows button + R) to open ‘Run’ or Right-click on the Windows option on screen and Select ‘Run’ to open it.
- Now write the ‘%temp%’ command in the Open field and click OK to open this folder.
- Select all the files except if there is an important one like any camera recording saved in it. Then delete all the selected files.
- Again open ‘Run’ and write ‘temp’ to open this folder. Select all the files in this folder and delete them.
To understand all these steps better, click the link below.
What is Clearing Data?
Clearing data is the process of clearing all the permanent data to troubleshoot issues of an application or a device when clearing cache is unable to fix the bugs.
Clearing data on android
- First, you can clear the data of that specific app that is crashing continuously and disturbing your device’s performance. To do this, follow the given steps.
- Suppose your mobile gallery is behaving erratically, then you should clear its whole data to fix its issues.
- Go to the ‘Setting’ of your device.
- Go to the ‘App management’ option in the settings.
- Go to the ‘App settings’ option in app management.
- Select the faulty application. Suppose we select ‘Gallery’.
- Go to the ‘storage and cache’ option of the application.
- If the clear cache option is dismissed, it means that the cache of the application is already cleared. Now, select the ‘Clear Storage’’ option.
- It will give you a pop-up to authenticate if you really want to clear the whole permanent data of this application. Press ‘OK’.
- The data of the Gallery will be erased completely.
- Another way is to completely erase the whole data of your device and reset it to the default mode.
- Go to ‘Setting’ of your device and Select ‘System’.
- Select the ‘Reset options’.
- Select the ‘Erase all data’ option.
- The system will ask you for a confirmation message showing a pop-up ‘Erase all data’. Then it will ask you for your device’s password if you have any. After this, your device will move on to the factory reset mode and will be set to default mode in a while. All the data of your device will be erased in this way.
Clearing data from an IPhone
Each application of the iPhone has its own way to clear its data.
- Some applications have to be uninstalled and then reinstalled in order to delete their data.
- Some applications have a built-in feature of clearing the data in them.
- Some applications’ data can be deleted from some options in the IPhone settings.
Given links will help you learn clearing data of the IPhone’s applications in their specific ways.
- If deleting data from applications does not work, you have to reset your IPhone to the default mode and delete all its content. It can be done through the given steps.
- Go to ‘Settings’ of an IPhone.
- Go to the ‘General’ option in the settings.
- Select the ‘Reset’ option.
- Select the ‘Erase all content and settings’ option.
- The system will ask you to enter your passcode.
- It will send you a confirmation pop-up for whether you want to erase the data or not.
- Click ‘Erase IPhone’, and your IPhone will go to the resetting mode.
- After resetting, it will be available in its default mode.
If you want to learn it in detail, then this process is well-explained in the given video.
Clearing data from a PC
Clearing data from a PC includes two options. Either you can uninstall the faulty application from your system, which is causing harm to your PC’s performance, or the other option is to erase all the data from Windows and install it again on your PC.
To uninstall any faulty applications from your PC, follow the given steps.
- Go to the ‘Control Panel’.
- Select the ‘Uninstall a program’ option under the Programs.
- Select the application to be uninstalled.
- Right-click on the application and select the ‘uninstall’ option to uninstall the program from your device.