Among a list of different operating systems, you should have an operating system that is truly based on security preferences, if you are a person who is making a career in IT or information security.
But do you know which operating system is most security-focused and how to install it? If no then the article is written especially for you.
Kali Linux is the operating system that is most recommended by experts to use for cybersecurity tasks such as ethical hacking, and network security assessments.
Also, it can save a lot of time by enabling you to perform the most tricky tasks within no time. But do you know what is Kali Linux and how can you install it on mac? Let’s first talk a bit about Kali Linux.
Table of Contents
- 1 A quick overview of Kali Linux
- 2 How to install Kali Linux on Mac using VMware?
- 3 How to install Kali Linux on Mac using VirtualBox?
- 4 Wrapping it up:-
- 5 You may also like:
A quick overview of Kali Linux
“Kali Linux, in simple word, is a Debian-based Linux distribution. Its purpose is to make security Auditing and Penetration testing convenient.”
It is specially used by hackers for ethical hacking purposes. It is indeed the most important Linux version for cybersecurity experts. Kali Linux is enriched with a large number of tools that are necessary to perform cybersecurity tasks effectively.
There is a lot more information to share about Kali Linux and its benefits but we have to come to the point now. So you cant take the benefits of Kali Linux without getting it installed on your Mac.
But do you know how to install Kali Linux in mac. If No then you need not to worry because this blog is going to teach you every step regarding the installation of Kali Linux on mac in detail.
Let’s get started with the simple procedure. But first, consider the point to be noted that there can be two ways of installing a Kali Linux on Mac.
We are going to teach you both of them so let’s discuss the first one.
How to install Kali Linux on Mac using VMware?
VMware Fusion is a virtualization software with flexibility in virtualization and reliable performance. It works better than the VMware workstation.
It is enriched with multiple tools and customizing options and has a better user interface than many other virtualization applications.
To install Kali Linux by using VMware fusion, first, you have to install VMware Fusion on your Mac. If it is already installed then skip this step.
Install VMware Fusion on your Mac:
- Install VMware fusion by using these simple steps.
- Go to your favorite browser and search vmware.com.
- A website will be opened with multiple tabs displaying on the landing page. Click on the Products tab.
- Select Desktop hypervisor.
- Select Fusion for Mac
- Click on Get a Free personal User License.
- Click in Create an account if you don’t have an account already.
- Fill up your details and click continue.
- A new tab will be opened. Click Manually download
- Your VMware Fusion will start downloading.
- Now install it on your Mac. And here it is ready to get started with.
Download ISO file for Kali Linux:-
The next step after the installation of VMware fusion is to download the ISO file for Kali Linux.
- Go to the browser and search for www.kali.org.
- Now download the Kali Linux 64-bit version as it is best compatible with your MacBook Pro.
Installation of Kali Linux on Mac using VMware Fusion:
For initiating the installation of Kali Linux follow the below-mentioned steps
- Open your VMware Fusion software.
- Now click on the sign of + at the top of your screen.
- Click on New to create a new virtual machine.
- Select Create a custom virtual machine and click continue.
- You can drag and drop your ISO image for Kali Linux here. Also you can click on Use another disc or disc image. (as we did). By clicking this option you will be directed to your Downloads.
- Select the ISO file for Kali Linux.
- Click on Open.
- Now click on Continue.
- A list of operating systems will be shown. Select Debian 9 × 64-bit. It is the most suitable option. Now click on Continue.
- Click on Finish.
- Now choose your Firmware type. Click on Legacy Bios. Now click on Continue.
- Now click Finish.
- You can customize your virtual machine’s settings by clicking on Customize Settings.
Customize your settings:-
- Select the name of your virtual machine
- Now click on the show all button and customize other settings according to what you want.
- Click on General to customize general settings.
- Click on Processor to set the processor and memory storage.
- Now adjust display settings by clicking on the Display tab.
- Now select Hard disk to adjust the memory of the Hard Disk.
- The next step is to configure the USB and Bluetooth settings.
- After customization click the biggest triangular Play button to start the installation
- Select Graphical Install and Kali Linux will start installing on your device. This installation will take some time. May be up to 20 minutes or so.
- After installation, you will be asked few things that you have to enter correctly.
- First, select your language and click Continue
- Select your location and click Continue.
- Configure your Keyboard and click Continue.
- Enter a hostname randomly and click Continue
- Enter a domain name of your own choice and click Continue.
- Enter a username that will be required whenever you will log in to your distro.
- Enter an easy-to-remember password and click Continue.
- It will start setting up the clock.
- Configure your clock timings according to your current location and click Continue.
- Choose a disk partition method. I recommend choosing the first one. Again click continue.
- As a last step save all the changes you have made by clicking on YES. And then click Continue.
- Your base system will start getting installed and prepared for your usage.
- And finally, You Kali Linux has been installed using VMware Fusion player
- Now check it. Open Kali Linux and enter the username and password you selected while the configuration of settings.
- Your system is ready to use now.
How to install Kali Linux on Mac using VirtualBox?
Installing Kali Linux using Virtual Box on MacBook pro is not rocket science. It involves simple and easy steps to follow in order to get your Kali Linux distribution installed on MacBook pro. Let us move onto the steps
Install Virtual Box on Mac:
You should have the VirtualBox application pre-installed on your mac. But if you don’t have that don’t worry just follow these simple steps to install.
Search and open the VirtualBox website
- Go to your favorite browser and search website named www.virtualbox.org. A website will be opened.
- Here you will be able to see a large button with text written Download VirtualBox. Click that button. By clicking it a new downloads page will be opened.
- Here you will find a button with a tag OS X hosts. Click that button and your VirtualBox DMG file will start getting download on your device.
- When it gets downloaded completely, open the DMG file by double-clicking on it.
- Now you will see a number of different icons here. Click the first brownish-yellow icon in the upper left corner with the name VirtualBox.pkg. An installation window will open.
- Steer through various prompts and then click on Install software and wait for it to be installed completely.
In this way, you can install VirtualBox on your Mac.
Download ISO file of Kali Linux:-
Go to the official website of Kali Linux that is kali.org. Here you will see multiple options for download, each version with a different graphical user interface. Search for Kali Linux 64-bit as this version is best suited for your mac. Click on it to begin the download. It will take some minutes to get downloaded.
Create a new Virtual Machine:-
After downloading the ISO file for Kali Linux, you have to create a new Virtual Machine to get your Kali Linux installed onto it.
- Open VirtualBox and click on Machine in the top menu bar.
- Now click on New. You can use the shortcut key Ctrl+N.
- Fill up the required information.
- Select the Name of your virtual machine
- Select the Name of your machine Folder.
- Select Type:- Linux
- Select Version:- Debian (64-bit)
- Memory size:- Select a good memory size that would be enough to run a guest OS. We are here selecting 2048 MB
- Hard disk:- Click on Create a virtual hard disk now. And click on create.
- Now select VDI ( VirtualBox Disk Image and click Continue
- Now select Dynamically allocated and then continue.
- Now select a file location name and RAM size for your Kali Linux. We are going with Kali Linux and 20 Gb respectively. Then click on Create.
- Your Kali Linux virtual machine will be created on VirtualBox.
- Still, you can check and adjust various other settings by double-clicking on your Virtual Machine.
- Double click on your Virtual Machine that will be displayed with the name you have selected for it.
- Now click on the Storage in the upper Menu Bar.
- Now click on Controller; IDE > Empty. Here you will see a small icon Live CD/DVD click on this option and select choose Virtual Optical Disk File.
You will get the Kali Linux controller stored here.
Now it’s time to install Kali Linux operating system on your MacBook. But you can check other settings of your virtual machine before. These setting may include the settings of motherboard or processor
Installation of Kali Linux on Mac using VirtualBox:-
- Open your VirtualBox application and click on the Virtual machine you created for Kali Linux.
- Click on Start at the top of the icon bar.
- A number of different boot options will appear. Select Graphical install.
- Select your language and click continue
- Select your location and click continue
- Now configure your keyboard setting and click continue
- Additional components will begin to install.
- Now enter a host name for your operating system and click continue
- Now enter a domain name and click continue
- Choose a password that you can remember easily.
- Now select your partitioning method from the given list and click continue.
- Now select your partitioning method. The first option is most preferable to select.
- Now click on finish partitioning and write changes to disk and then click continue.
- Click YES to save the changes you made.
- The Kali Linux will start getting installed and it will take few minutes. Now click continue to prepare Kali Linux for normal usage. And yes you did it. Kali Linux has been installed in your MacBook Pro.
- Now open your installed operating system. Select a username and select your password.
- Start using this excellent operating system to get your tasks done.
Wrapping it up:-
We have tried our level best to explain how to install Kali Linux on Mac by using both VirtualBox and VMware Fusion. We hope that you will be now up with all the I formation for which you were here.
So don’t forget to share your precious views with us about this informative article. And let us know if you have any questions. We will look forward to seeing your positive feedback