There is no doubt that Python is one of the most popular beginner-friendly languages out in the digital world. Millions of data scientists, engineers and even accountants implement its functionality each day. In fact, almost all CS graduates have to rely on their UI for most of their academic tasks.
Its compiler is easy to install and use; however, when it comes to permanently removing it from your operating system, things become complicated. That’s why today we will discuss how to uninstall from python mac, windows and Linux. So, let’s get into it!
Why Uninstall Python?
Well, there could be dozens of reasons why you should want to uninstall Python in the first place. The most prominent can be because your current version is outdated and you want to replace it with the latest one.
Similarly, another common intention of why you want to uninstall Python is because it is not a compiled language. That’s why choosing programs such as Java can be a better solution.
Methods to Uninstall Python
How to Completely Uninstall Python from Windows?
To permanently remove Python from your windows 10 machine, make sure to follow this guide till the end,
STEP 1: Check Command Prompt for Installed Python Version
- First of all, Press the Windows key (⊞) from your keyboard or move directly to your windows search bar. After that, type “cmd” and hit enter. The command Prompt window will appear on your screen.
- Now type “Python -V” in the command prompt and press “Enter“. This will show you the current Python version installed on your Windows 10 operating system. Most importantly, this command is also crucial in knowing whether Python is installed on your system or not.
STEP 2: Remove Python manually from Control Panel
- After that, move back to your Windows 10 search bar, write “Control panel“, and select it.
- In your control panel, you will see a Uninstall a Program option in the down right corner. If somehow it’s not there, try to change your interference. For this, move your cursor to the “View by” section and change it to “Category”.
- Now you will see the list of all programs currently installed on your Windows 10 machine. To find Python, search it on the bar located at the top right corner. After entering, it will automatically show you the current Python version installed as well as its respectable launcher.
- In the end, click on the Python version and select the “Uninstall” button. A pop-up window will ask for your confirmation, so simply click “Yes” and wait for some minutes. After the removal is complete, apply the same process for Python Launcher.
STEP 3: Re-check Python from Command Prompt section
- Move back to Command Prompt Window for the second time, and again type “Python -V”. You will notice that your command is not recognized by the system, which means that Python is now correctly removed from Windows 10.
How to Completely Uninstall Python from Mac?
Just like in Windows, uninstalling Python from Mac is easy as it gets. The following steps will help you out on this procedure,
STEP 1: Check Terminal for Installed Python Version and its location
- In the beginning, click on the spotlight search, located at the top right corner of your Mac OS. You will notice that it’s similar to the one used on Windows. Now type in “Terminal” and double click on it.
- In the terminal section, type “python3 – -version” and press Enter. This will give you a clear idea of the particular Python Version installed in your OS. In contrast to that, write “which python3” and copy the installation path up to “versions”.
STEP 2: Remove the Python folder and its application from the given location
- After that, go to your “Finder”, present at the bottom left corner of your screen and click it. Next, press the [Command+Shift+G] key on your keyboard simultaneously until the folder shortcut window appears. Now, paste the file path in the search section and press “Go”.
- This will bring you to the original Python file location. Based on your version, you might see a numerical folder. In our case, it’s incorporated as 3.7. Right-click on it and then delete it. Your Mac will also ask for your password confirmation for security reasons, so insert it.
It might not be necessary, but if you want the added ease of mind, then you should completely remove the application
- To accomplish this, go to the application tab and select it. Consequently, scroll down until you find the same Python version and again delete it. Mac OS will also ask you for the password, so make sure to type it.
STEP 3: Again, check the Python installation
- Finally, check whether Python is still available in your system or not. For this, type in “python3 – -version” and hit Enter. You will notice an error requesting the python download, which clearly indicates that you have successfully uninstalled it from Mac OS.
How to Completely uninstall Python from Linux?
If you’re one of Linux based users and want to uninstall Python, then no need to worry as we got you covered!
STEP 1: Check Terminal for pip version
- One of the easiest ways to enter the terminal window in Linux or Ubuntu-based operating systems is by pressing the [Ctrl+Alt+T] shortcut keys. As you push them, the terminal window will appear on your screen.
- At once, enter “python3 – -version” in the terminal and select it. This command will give you the currently installed python package on your machine.
STEP 2: Auto-uninstall Python from the terminal section
- In this step, copy the following code sudo-get autoremove python-pip and paste it in the command section. Now, wait for some minutes until you see a confirmation. Then Enter “Y” and start the uninstallation.
So, this was our step-by-step guide on how to install Python for various types of operating systems. Each of these procedures may vary in your particular scenario, but the basic idea behind them is similar. If you are still confused, ask your queries in the comment section, we will try to answer them all!
- How to Install Python IDLE In Linux?
- How to List All Files in A Directory in Python?
- Python vs Anaconda programming
- Best open source framework for Python programmers
- How to setup Atom for Python programming
Q1, Is it ok to uninstall Python?
If you had Python along with your OS, then uninstalling it may cause complications for your machine. Other than that, there is no issue with removing it.
Q2, Can Python damage my computer?
Python is a system application, and just like any other applications, it won’t overload your computer, nor it has havoc effects on your system’s performance and stability.
Q3, Is it possible that my windows 10 has built-in Python?
Unfortunately, No! Windows does not rely on Python for most of the part, which is why it doesn’t come pre-installed on it. However, unlike Linux or Ubuntu, you have to install it on Windows 10 manually.