Learn to run Python or python 3 on your Kali Linux operating system.
Python is preinstalled in your Linux operating system. You can simply use Python by following the below simple steps: You should update Kali Linux to the latest version.
- By clicking Ctrl + Alt + T on the dashboard, you can open the terminal of your Linux OS.
- Download the python script.
- Use the cd command to navigate to the location of the python script in the terminal.
- Type python SCRIPTNAME.py in the terminal to execute the script.
- If the script is python3, use python3 in the terminal command:python3 SCRIPTNAME.py
In case you find it tedious to write Python in the terminal every time you run the script, you can follow the instructions below:
- Prepend #! /usr/bin/python with your script.
- Run the following command in your terminal to make the script executable: chmod +x SCRIPTNAME.py
- Now, simply type ./SCRIPTNAME.py to run the executable script.
However, the question arises regarding using Python in Kali Linux and confuses many users.
The python script is like a text file that can be created with the help of something as simple as the text editors. Moreover, terminal functions can run and use Python in Kali Linux.
So, to give all the details of the proper steps in a limited time, let’s get started!
How to use Python in Kali Linux – Multiple Ways
Creating / Running Script
There are two methods for creating a python script.
- Interactive mode
- Scripting mode
Both are explained below.
One of the methods of creating a python script is the interactive mode. The steps of interactive mode are given below.
- Open your terminal by clicking on the terminal icon in the dashboard. The window will open.
Another method includes right-clicking on the mouse and choosing the terminal option.
One other method of opening the terminal is pressing the Alt button, Ctrl, and T key.
- Depending on the version of python you are running on your computer or rather on the Kali Linux, try ‘python’ and the version you are using. For example, ‘3’. Then this will appear as shown below.
- Then you are ready to input your Python code. Like something simple, as shown below.
- So, this kind of stuff is the interactive mode.
- If you want to exit it, use the exit bracket shown below and type clear. It will open a new window.
For the scripting mode details, scroll below.
- First, let’s make a directory for scripting mode where you can store the python file or the python script. For that, follow the python code and hit enter.
- Type cd and then folder name you just created. Then create the python script.
- An example script is shown below. ‘py’ is used for python. Then click enter.
- To exit it, you have to press down control (Ctrl key), and C. Then type ls. There you will have your script reading.
- Depending on the input application you are running on your Kali Linux, like G edit Leafpad or simple Nano, go ahead and type mousepad helloworld.py. Press enter.
- As you can see below, you will get your input code. Give the following code. Then press control S to save and then exit.
- Come back to the tunnel and type the given code. It will show your python script on the terminal.
Now go ahead and use whichever mode you want to apply.
These video links will help you comprehend the steps better.
- How to use Python in KALI Linux 2021.1 || Scripting || in 5 mins
- How To Create A Python Script in Kali Linux
- How to Run Python 2 and Python 3 scripts in Kali Linux 2020 | Python in Kali Linux
Hence, using python in Kali Linux is not as difficult as you imagine but just a piece of cake if you know the proper steps and the correct mode you require. In fact, running a python script involves just three simple steps, i.e., opening the terminal, navigating to the directory by the cd command where the file is located, and then typing the python script name and .py in the terminal to execute the script. Understanding them well will make your job a breeze.
For any query related to the article, contact us. Moreover, give your valued feedback on the article.