This blog post smacks down Notepad++ vs. Atom in terms of features, speed, performance, and ease of use.
For a developer, an IDE is one of the most important tools. That alone sets out what a developer will face in his onward journey. Therefore, taking some time into this matter is worth it.
You may want to read this comparison of Vi Vs. Vi.
if you are confused between a choice whether it should be the notepad++ or atom. if you don’t want to use IntelliJ or Eclipse. Read on to get a solution.
Although most of the features are the same in both of these outstanding text editors. For instance, both are open source and free to use, offer a sheer number of plugins, support for multi-line editing and multi-file opening, and so forth.
Notepad++ supports only the windows operation system, in contrast to that, Atom has separate versions for multiple OS(es), Linux, Mac, and windows too. This signs, Atom targets a broad community of developers regardless of the boundary set out by the operating systems- everyone can opt for it.
Notepad++ Vs Atom Differences
|Creation||developed by Don Ho in September 2003||First released on 25 june 2015.|
|Best for||Suitable for coding smaller programmers, consumes less resources.||A fully customized text editor- everyone developer can customize it well.|
|Available for||It’s only available for Windows operating systems.||Difference versions Available for windows, Mac, and Linux.|
|Speed||It compiles short programs faster.||It’s not as fast as Notepad++.|
|Price||Free and Open source||Free and open source|
Notepad++ is a text and code editor that can be used along with Microsoft Windows. It was initially released in 2003 and since then it has been used by a number of developers and has been granted with several awards. It has won the Source Forge award for the best developer tool a couple of times it has been a great choice for the young developers. It is a features rich text editor and is known for its amazing abilities.
Almost the features and highlights of both the text editors are similar. However the features of each editor are discussed in detail.
The main features of Notepad++ include the following:
- The most important feature of notepad++ is its ability to highlight syntax. The feature of syntax highlighting helps in differentiating different chords in a document full of them.
- It also has the feature of collaboration tools that let 2 developers work on or edit the same file on different systems. So even if you are far away from your coeditor or colleague, you can work on the same file if you are using notepad++ as your text editor.
- During the compilation of code, auto-completion of sentences and words helps a lot. This text editor has the feature of auto-completion which makes half the work very easy.
- With the help of direct manipulation, you can add multiple lines simultaneously. This helps in saving a lot of time it also has the feature of split-screen editing that lets you work on different files at the same time or help you in having different views of a single file.
- If there are certain steps in the process of coding that are repeated again and again, the feature of macros in notepad++ makes it easier for you to duplicate in the future.
Pros and Cons
The pros or the advantages of the notepad++ include:
- It is very fast and light in weight. It takes very less time to launch the project and handle the entire code very easily
- As it is light in weight, It is portable as well. You can easily carry it in your storage account while you are away from your system.
- Notepad++ doesn’t have any cost and it can be used for free
- It automatically saves your work so even if your system shuts down you don’t need to panic and you know that your work is safe and secure.
- It is very simple and can be easily used by anyone
- It has a very basic user interface that lets you easily work even if you are a beginner.
If we talk about the cons of this editor the only disadvantage that it has is that it can only be used on Windows. So if you’re someone who has Mac OS or Linux, you can’t even think about choosing this one because it won’t work or function on your system
It also helps in highlighting the syntax and completion of the sentences in Word of different languages other than the default language of the text editor.
Atom is a text editor that has many features and abilities and it is really famous in the coding world because of them. Those features are discussed below:
- Like notepad++ it can also be customized and you can change the overall look of the editor by adding extensions. This doesn’t only make it presentable but it also makes your editing and coding experience 100 times better.
- You can even add integrations that are prepackaged and plugins as well, in this text editor. This helps in bringing more efficiency and productivity.
- If there is a code that is very long and you need to make changes to it there is a feature called “find and replace”. This feature lets you replace and find lines of codes you don’t have to Scroll down for longer. This makes coding very easy.
- There are sometimes when the code you’re writing is way too long to be settled in one code. Here you can use the feature of court folding that lets you fit in a long cord in a single code. This is done by eliminating any extra lines or hiding them without the loss of efficiency or productivity.
- It also has the feature of highlighting syntax which makes things very easy and your code becomes impressive by its looks and is easier to read as well.
- It also has the feature of collaborative editing like notepad++ which helps many editors to edit a single code when they are far or using different systems.
- A feature of Atom that is different from Notepad++ is its ability to be used on multiple systems. It can not only be used on Windows but is also accessible on Linux, Mac, etc.
- Atom is easily configurable for Python using plugins.
- It supports of wide variety of languages in programming like Python, HTML, CSS, SQL etc.
Pros and Cons
The pros of the text editor, Atom include:
- One of the main reasons why developers or editors vouch for this text editor is because of it being an open source editor. It can be used by anyone.
- Like notepad++ it is also free and can be used without spending a single penny on it.
- it is also very basic and easy for beginners and can also be used by the old developers it is very easily used by everyone you can even use keyboard shortcuts to make things easy
- It also lets you customize your experience by installing different plugins and extensions. This way you can customize the editor and your experience as well
- it also allows integrations and plugins that are prepackaged which add more productivity to the editor. It can be used on different computer systems including windows Mac and Linux so if you have Mac or Linux operating system you can use Atom as your text editor and completely ignore notepad++ as it won’t cater you.
One of the main disadvantages of Atom is that it is extremely slow and takes a lot of time to launch the project its programs also end up hogging up the system which hangs the user interface.
Plugins will improve the overall experience of cording but along with the increase in functionality, it will slow down the entire operating system.
There are a huge number of options for a person to choose from when he initially steps in the coding world. If you want to make the experience of your coding work, the best one, you need to choose the appropriate editor for your work. If there is anything that can change the level of your coding, it is a text editor.
An appropriate text editor can take you to the heights of success in coding. However if you choose an editor, that doesn’t help in improving your work, it can take you to the point that will be the worst for you. Basically the choice of the text editor is the decision making point for your career initially.
It is very important to have a complete knowledge about the text editors that are made for beginners and it is way essential for you to know all the pros and cons of them so that it is easier for you to choose one.
Basic text editors are very good in the beginning but they can be troublesome if the students use them for codes that are more complex or for languages that the basic text editors don’t cover.
So with the passage of time you need to keep upgrading the level of your text editor so that you don’t face any difficulties during coding in the future.
Notepad++ and Atom are two text editors that are not only the best choice for beginners but they also help in the long run. Sublime is another substitute of Atom and Notepad++.
It is very difficult to choose in between Atom and notepad++ because both of them have got exciting features that make your coding experience a lot better but there is always room for change and you can shift to another text editor if your needs and requirements change.
There are many text editors that have features like completion of words automatically, sentence completion, syntax highlighting etc. There are many other features which make the experience even more adventurous.
Atom and Notepad++ both are well known for their features and amazing experience for beginners. It is very tricky to choose the best one among them.
If you are someone who works with Windows, then you can opt from either of them, but if you have a system other than Windows then you need to choose Atom, as Notepad++ is not compatible or doesn’t work with operating systems other than Windows.
Atom is more complex than Notepad++ but it will be the better choice for the long run because of its better features and functionality.