If you are a python user or developer then you must have been gone through a very common issue states:
‘SSL module in python is not available.
Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement <package> (from versions:)
No matching distribution found for <package>’
Are you facing this issue while trying to run your desired program in python 3, such as protonvpn? If you are facing it and finding a permanent solution to it then you are in the right place. Why? Because, , we, in this article are going to fix this issue by giving you an easy and simple guide.
So, without any further ado, let’s help you out by giving you this easy-to-follow guide.
A Step-by-step Guide for fixing “SSL Module is not available in Python”
Fixation of this issue is quite simple. But you have to make sure to follow it as it is. Let’s move forward on to the steps.
1. First, make sure that you are done with the installation of all important packages to run Python and SSL.
To do this, run the command
sudo apt-get install libreadline-gplv2-dev libncursesw5-dev libssl-dev libsqlite3-dev tk-dev libgdbm-dev libc6-dev libbz2-dev.
With this all the essential packages will get installed.
2. After the completion of that command, you can choose to run your desired package command to see if it can run without the error showing again.
If the error appears, then you will have to download ‘Python 3.6.8’.
3. To download ‘Python 3.6.8’ go to https://www.python.org/ftp/python/.
4. Now, select ‘Python 3.6.8’ from the list available on the website.
5. Once you have clicked on it, you will be directed to a page containing different versions of Python 3.6.8. Select the version that has a Linux extension.
In this case, it is Python-3.6.8.tar.xz. Click on it.
6. You will be asked if you want to open the file or save it. Go with the ‘save file’ option.
Your file will start downloading right away. It will be downloaded in a few seconds with a good internet connection.
7. Now, open the folder containing the downloaded ‘Python-3.6.8.tar.xz’.
8. Since you can see the Python folder in the ‘Downloads’, it is time to extract it. Right-click on it and select ‘Extract here’.
The extraction process will start immediately and will be completed in no time.
9. Once the files in Python-3.6.8.tar.xz are extracted, you can open the extracted folder.
10. By right-clicking in the folder, you will get a list of options. Select ‘Open in Terminal’.
The terminal tab will appear on the screen.
11. Now, run . /configure in the terminal.
12. When you are done running that command, run the command
sudo make && sudo make install afterward.
13. When both of the commands have run successfully, Python 3.6.8 will get installed without any issue.
You will see a text indicating its successful installation at the bottom.
14. Now, it is time for you to complete the task that was not running before due to the problem ‘SSL module not available in Python’.
Simply, write the command for it that is pip3 install package_name, and it will start running immediately without any issue.
In this instance, we wrote the command to install protonvpn.
By carefully following the steps we have mentioned above, you will no longer face the issue of ‘SSL module in python is not available’.
Summing it up, not knowing how to deal with the problem of SSL unavailability in python can frustrate anyone. Thus, if you are stuck in this situation, you can easily get out of it by doing the easy steps we have written for your convenience.
We hope that you have benefited from this guide and will face no more issue now. If you have any queries, you can leave a comment and we will answer it for you.